Regression

While healing, I spent a LOT of time talking like a four year old (which inspired me to start a comic about a four year old). In some alternative med circles I used to run in (now defunct, as far as I know), this would have been termed regression.

The community in question (autism-mercury) was for treating autistic kids biomedically to try to resolve their issues. In that community, regression had a very bad reputation. It was scary to them and evidence they had done something wrong and the child being treated was losing ground rather than continuing to heal.

My background is that I spent a lot of time in therapy in my teens and twenties prior to taking an interest in bio hacking, so I had a different take on the whole thing. To me, this is like a do over of things that went wrong in the past.

When I began doing therapy for the second time in my twenties, I began having dreams about "six sisters." Each sister corresponded to an age at which I had been traumatized, something like infancy, age 2, age 4, age 12, age 14 and age 17.

As I got better, I began dreaming of "four sisters" and it was like two sets of sisters had been melded together: The two toddlers were now "a toddler of indistinct age" and the 12 and 14 year old girls had been blended together as well.

After I went to GIS school, I began dreaming of conceiving of a child, a child being born, etc. In essence, I dreamed I was "being reborn."

So I was never afraid of regression and did not hesitate to indulge myself in (privately) talking like a small child, crawling to do some physical therapy related to the regression, etc.

The main thing I want to say here is that if you are treating ANYTHING -- but especially anything neurological -- regression is a completely normal part of the healing process. No, you have not lost your mind.

Your body is just repeating steps it got wrong the first time around and trying to overwrite that record with a new and improved record. Or it's trying to overwrite something that got damaged somewhere along the way and get it back to where it needs to be.

Popular Posts