Low Back Pain

When I was really sick and neurologically impaired I fell a lot, but thanks to some gymnastics training in my youth I usually didn't get seriously hurt. Falls that really should have landed me in the ER usually resulted in minor scrapes and bruises and the like, though there were exceptions.

In a noteworthy exception to that rule, I slipped and fell on an icy bridge and really BUSTED my ass in December 2017. I was seriously impaired for the next few months but I don't really think it was injury per se that had me laid up.

Instead, I think something burst or sloughed off and released some kind of pocket of old infection into my system. The end result was terrible, terrible back pain and I could hardly get up for some days and hardly left the apartment building for some weeks.

Why would infection, rather than injury per se, cause severe, incapacitating low back pain? I think it's because it causes immune distress.

The pelvic bones are the largest well of bone marrow in the body and bone marrow is a critical component of the immune system. It's where a lot of your immune cells are manufactured.

So if you are facing a significant health event requiring a high level of white blood cells to be created, that's where you are most likely to feel it. I typically treat it by taking calcium and B vitamins and sometimes eating butter (or, more often, cheese which contains good fats plus calcium).

Bone marrow is fatty and my condition involves misprocessing fats. For me, I have found that butter is a good way to stop some of the various patterns of pain I historically had that were related to teeth or the skeletal system and I think it's because the right kinds of fatty acids are critical for bone marrow support.

I almost never get low back pain anymore and when I do it's usually mild. I used to get it pretty regularly and it was typically more severe.

Low back pain is almost always immune distress and I treat it nutritionally to provide support to the bone marrow and that's been extremely effective in not only resolving it but gradually making it less likely to return.

If you are severely calcium deficient, you likely also need magnesium, vitamin D and vitamin K to properly absorb it and use it. The calcium may not "stick" as well if you aren't taking it with those other things because the body needs all of those to make proper use of it.

If you are familiar with the concept of protein complementarity for a vegetarian diet, I guess it's a little like that. The body ends up not able to use some things when it doesn't have the right components to pair with it.

These are the building blocks of the body and you can kind of think of it like "dry stacking bricks" is going to be less effective than, say, putting mortar between the bricks. You can build better when you have the right stuff to help hold it all together and in this case, you need magnesium and vitamins D and K to help the body hold the calcium and use it properly.

Though there have also been cases where I took calcium by itself, not with other supplements, and I absorbed it just fine and it stuck enough to put a permanent end to my tendency to get nosebleeds.

Popular Posts