Selenium

Somatopsychic symptoms are mental health symptoms caused by a physical ailment. It's sort of the opposite of psychosomatic and it's something I pay a lot of attention to.

For me, being unreasonably frustrated is an indicator of selenium deficiency.

I have a genetic disorder which impacts my gut function, so I easily get deficient in a wide variety of nutrients. So I have to regularly monitor myself for indications of deficiency and adjust my diet accordingly.

At one point, I spent about six months eating one to three Brazil nuts about five to seven days a week until I couldn't stand them anymore. Brazil nuts are a super food with a ridiculously high amount of selenium in them.

A single Brazil nut provides approximately 100 percent of the RDA for a typical adult, so I was eating about 100 to 300 percent of the RDA in a single sitting on top of any other dietary sources of selenium. I did this until I could no longer tolerate them, thereby resolving a lifelong selenium deficiency.

Do note that my condition generally requires 150 to 200 percent of normal RDA for most nutrients. So the above is NOT a recommended dosage for anyone. It's an anecdote about my life.

Selenium is actually readily available in a wide variety of foods. These days, when I start getting unreasonably frustrated -- an indication I need extra selenium -- I usually up my consumption of cheese and/or beans. So I might eat a cheese quesadilla or a bean burrito.

I sometimes still buy sunflower seeds or cashews for the selenium, but not as often as I used to. Lots of foods contain selenium. It is a common nutrient.

We all have a want center. Craving certain foods is a clue to what nutrients we are in need of and, relatedly, hitting our nope moment on a particular food can be an indicator we've met our need and are full up on a particular nutrient for now -- or, at least, can't tolerate more until we resolve some OTHER deficiency blocking us from using more at the moment.

Popular Posts