The Way to Eden

Diet has played a really big role in getting us well. But controlling our environment has also played a really big role.

There is an episode of Star Trek called The Way to Eden. The Wikipedia description doesn't entirely match up with my recollection.

I remembered this movement as being very much about "Our lives don't work because our bodies don't work because of tech and excess urban development making us sick." It's possible I focused overly much on what may have been a lesser influence on that storyline because it resonates so much with me and is, in some sense, MY storyline.

More than a decade ago, I got evicted from an apartment and when relatives said "No, we can't take you in at this time." I decided I was NOT going to go find another apartment. I felt strongly my apartment was a large factor in why I was so sick.

So, long story short, I bought a tent and pitched it in a patch of woods. After three nights sleeping in a tent, I felt vastly better than I had in many years.

So I emailed my boss that I was quitting and would not be in to work that day and left town. Thus began nearly six years of homelessness.

A decade-plus later, I'm much, much healthier and my life is slowly returning to something vaguely resembling "a normal life."

Cystic fibrosis is a genetic disorder. Had I accepted what doctors were telling me -- that the problem is entirely that my genes are defective -- I likely would have died a long time ago.

But I didn't. I proceeded to do what I could to alter my physical environment and begin lightening the load on my frail body.
Sick building syndrome (SBS) is a condition in which people in a building suffer from symptoms of illness or become infected with chronic disease from the building in which they work or reside.
Because of my experiences, I firmly believe that Sick Building Syndrome is much more common than is recognized and a much larger factor in the health problems of many people who are getting told by doctors they simply have a defective BODY.

I think we have a defective built environment and we can mitigate the terrible health problems so many people have in part by building a healthier built environment.

This includes promoting walkability and bikability in part to reduce air pollution.

So I wanted to be an urban planner, though that is unlikely to happen. Maybe I get to be the next Jane Jacobs not via writing a book but via blogging.

Or, you know, I die quietly on the street in the near future and never make a mark on this world. Whatevs.

But that is a large part of why I am interested in community development work: Because the right built environment helps me stay out of the damn ER and off all the drugs people want me to take.

I was especially interested in housing issues when I was still in college trying to get an education appropriate to my career goals. I think my life and health would be vastly better if the world could resolve the current shortage of basic, decent housing and I think I am far from the only one for whom this is true.

Popular Posts