Tom Petty has a song about this

HN discussion of an article titled My Left Kidney that starts out with a quote from the Talmud stating that your kidneys are the Islamic Jewish equivalent of the Western idea of an angel sitting on one shoulder whispering in one ear and a devil sitting on the other shoulder whispering into the other ear and your left one is the evil one.

I assume this is a reference to the Roman word for left: Sinister.

So this is a man who feels like he had something evil within him and that donating his left kidney symbolically was an exorcism, removing the evil within him.

Sort of an extreme version of my observation that I wanted to go vegetarian in part because I had been molested as a child and wanted to somehow "purify" myself.
Science Makes Progress Funeral by Funeral
Someone in comments argues against my desire for better answers than transplant. He has had a transplant, probably more than a year ago.

He likely will never admit I have a point. He NEEDS to feel like "Thank God!" about having his defective organ replaced. It prevents him from having to grieve or be angry about it. He doesn't want a better way found shortly after this was done to him.

I left all the CF lists in part because I felt that people could not hear "There may be better methods that can make your life better now." Instead they heard "You tortured your child for NOTHING. You're a sadist and bad parent. How could you?"

That's not anything I ever said. That's their inner demons talking, the proverbial devil whispering in one ear -- or, I guess, your left kidney if you are Middle Eastern Jewish (see footnote).

The world is filled with endless people who do not want better answers medically. They want SYMPATHY for what they went through and ABSOLUTION for their "sins" from having been raised with either a guilt model or a shame model.

Most parents raise their children with either a guilt model or a shame model. I raised mine with a model of enlightened self interest.

This planet is doomed. No one wants to put the past behind them. They want to revel in their abandon.

Footnote

Talmud would be Jewish, NOT Islamic/Middle Eastern.

WHATEVS.

Note to self: Double check religious references. I don't know enough about Islam or Judaism to readily tell them apart when I'm short of sleep etc. And don't REALLY fucking CARE to be honest.

I'm not a fan of religion. MOST religious people were RAISED from BIRTH to believe in a particular set of beliefs. It is de facto brain washing.

I know as much as I do about Christianity because Christians have been up in my business much of my life. I wish they would get therapy and get out my face.

FYI: The assertion that he gave away a kidney to remove evil from himself is NOT inference. He outright says that in his blog.

I just couldn't be arsed to look for the statement to quote it because he makes it impossible to copy-paste anything from his blog and both the OPENING quote from the Talmud and THE TITLE support the inference without him outright stating "Yup, I begged two hospitals to take a knife to me and remove my kidney and declined to get therapy like the first hospital told me to do because I wanted to REMOVE THE EVIL WITHIN ME."

Popular Posts