The Weakest Link

With a stubborn infection, doctors typically rotate antimicrobials or use one the patient in question doesn't normally use so that the stuff in the system won't be used to it. But that may not be enough by itself.

What I routinely try to do is figure out what the 'weakest link' is in my immune system currently and get more of those nutrients into me. Here are some examples of that:
Nutrient Depletions from Drugs
Most drugs deplete something. For example Ibuprofen depletes a certain B vitamin. My need for B vitamin supplements went way, way down after I got off the Ibuprofen I took daily for years (a common treatment for my condition).
Gray Hair
Gray hair suggests that a person is likely deficient in a B vitamin called PABA. It typically needs to be bought separately. It is not usually included in B vitamin supplements and I took it in my thirties when I had a lot more gray hair than I have now.

Gray hair also suggests a need for adrenal support. Adrenal Support includes good quality salt (especially Celtic sea salt or walks on the beach where you will get the ocean minerals), wild yam extract supplements, eating actual yams, lysine, good quality licorice with real licorice extract and vitamin C.

Vitamin C is water soluble and thus easily depleted, especially with fever or sweating. It's also important for white blood cells.
Co-Q-10
People over the age of thirty are frequently deficient in Co-Q-10. Sleep issues and heart disease can also indicate Co-Q-10 may help.

I took it in the morning, about twelve hours or so before my expected bedtime. It wakes the brain up at the time it is taken so it promotes insomnia if taken too late in the day and provides a melatonin spike about twelve to fourteen hours later, helping to kick off sleep.
Sleep Issues
I took co-q-10 for some years after getting off a bunch of prescription drugs. My brain was fried and I couldn't sleep properly. It helped straighten out the chemical aspect of my waking-sleep cycle. I also worked on Sleep Hygiene.
Excess Acidity
Excess acidity makes one prone to infection. I could and possibly will write volumes about pH balance but the quick and dirty version is lettuce, celery and raw cucumbers are all very alkaline foods which won't screw up the stomach the way antacids can. I ate a big bowl of lettuce as part of lunch several days a week for some months at some point to help straighten out my pH balance.

AntiMicrobials

This is not a comprehensive list. It's just a few things I have used and readily remember.
Hot Peppers
The active ingredient in hot peppers is capsaicin. It is a broad spectrum antimicrobial that works against viral, bacterial and fungal infections. It's also very cheap.

I typically start with a loading dose when treating infection. So, for example, I might add a habanero pepper to my dinner the first few days to get a large dose up front to kick off the treatment. Afterwards, I keep some in my system regularly by eating foods containing hot peppers, such as pepper jack cheese, salsa, certain Asian dishes and using the red pepper packets you get with takeout pizza.
Vitamins A and E
These work well against some infections, including warts. You can safely take a fair amount for a few weeks to treat infection before you need to start worrying about overdosing.
Cinnamon
This can be used as an antimicrobial. If I don't need much, I just choose foods with cinnamon, such as cinnamon rolls. But it can also be bought in pill form and taken like an antibiotic. As above, I typically did a loading dose at the start and then lowered the dose and took it "as needed" until the infection resolved.
Oregano
Oregano is good against bacterial and fungal infections. It can be bought in pill form and used as described above for cinnamon. Oil of oregano is especially strong and wonderful for treating most lung infections. I've only had it fail me once for a lung infection.
Olives
I sometimes eat them on their own or get kalamata bread or order pizza with them. I haven't done this often. I don't like olives, but they have served me well as a backup antimicrobial when the usual suspects are failing me.
Tea
Any kind of tea can help fight infection, but especially chamomile and mint. Regular black tea is an astringent and can help dry out the eyes, sinuses and lungs if you have a lot of drainage. In addition to drinking it, it can be used in poultice form for more kick.
Lysine
Lysine is an antiviral. It's a protein supplement that can be bought in pill form.

Popular Posts