Three Linear Feet of Papers

Sex is not the only way we get re-exposed to stuff keeping us sick. If you are chronically ill, your home and/or office may be why.

I worked at Aflac for a few years. Lots of people at Aflac had some kind of medical background before moving to insurance.

One of my teammates was a former EMS guy. We had a retired surgeon come in like once a week to review the really tough claims that no one could figure out.

So there was a wealth of medical knowledge in the building. These folks were the best of the best of the best, sir! and they still were oblivious to the impact of environmental factors on their own health.

So don't feel bad if it's never occurred to you. Rest assured, it isn't occurring to folks more knowledgeable than you are about medical stuff.

At some point, there was an empty cubicle between me and one of my bosses and it had never been cleaned out after the person who used to occupy it left. Among other things, they left behind three linear feet of envelopes, printed forms and other papers.

These papers were gathering dust and generally rotting and they had been there long enough that some were in such bad shape there was no way you could actually mail them out to customers. They weren't in presentable shape anymore.

And I realized this was a problem for my health and so one day I began quietly disposing of these papers.

If I needed forms or envelopes, I took them from that cubicle and used up what was still useable. I also began quietly trashing the stuff that was no longer useable because it was so far gone.

After maybe a week, the papers were gone.

My boss whose cubicle was on the other side of this cubicle had been battling a stubborn lung infection. She had been to the doctor like three times and they kept giving her more antibiotics and it was just NOT clearing up.

Once the papers were gone, the round of antibiotics she was on worked and that was the end of that. I'm certain she NEVER figured out that the papers I removed was what was keeping her cycling in and out of the doctor's office and failing to get better.

That's NOT the only incident that occurred at my place of employment that told me these very knowledgeable folks who read medical records all the live long day as their job were oblivious to what they were reacting to. It's just the most dramatic and easiest for illustrating a point.

Popular Posts