Hypotheses

Most of what is currently on this site is stuff I have a high degree of confidence generalizes. Of course, NOTHING works for everyone all the time and where possible I have tried to list out multiple options so that if X is not locally available or is something someone is allergic to or whatever, they have other options to try.

This page is a little more speculative. I have less data on these things.

Remember, this is a BLOG written by a former homemaker. If you need MEDICAL advice, SEE A DOCTOR.

Alzheimer's

My dad had Alzheimer's and when I lived with my folks for a year during my divorce, I managed to get him to take a glyconutrient supplement for a time. It was clear to me and my sons that he was getting better on it.

It was NOT clear to my mother and I had not been home in a long time and yadda. So when I moved out, my mother did not keep giving my dad the glyconutrients and, instead, was taking advice from my older sister who was working at the CDC. My dad deteriorated dramatically shortly after I moved out and this supplement was thus discontinued.

For that and other reasons, I'm fairly confident that some of the things I have written on this site about neurological stuff -- The Trifecta, B vitamins, cholesterol -- is solid info that is very likely pertinent and would likely help someone with Alzheimer's. Here is the more speculative part:

In recent years there is substantal research that links Alzheimer's to the accumulation of two proteins in the brain: Tau and Amyloid Beta. Accumulation of these proteins is also associated with sleep deprivation.

So as A GUESS (or hypothesis), if you have Alzheimer's, you might benefit substantially from taking Co-Q-10 in the morning to try to improve your sleep quality. It's something most people tend to be deficient in anyway past the age of about 30 or 35.

I've got a write up of my experience with Co-Q-10 and how to use it HERE.

Dyslexia

At some point while working at an insurance company paying accident claims -- where numbers were MY LIFE (claim numbers, dates, dollar amounts, addresses, policy numbers, etc etc etc etc) -- I suddenly became dyslexic which was a BIG problem. So I asked around and got some help from an alternative med community I knew.

I had had a cold or something and smacked my head on the car frame as I was getting into my car or getting out or whatever and I asked around on a list that probably no longer exists (because it was a Yahoo Group and that was discontinued some years ago) and got told "Yeah, the viral infection settled in your brain when you hit your head and that caused the dyslexia."

I was given some feedback on what to do to treat it. I have searched my notes and found two or three mentions of using vitamin A to treat it and my notes suggest to me vitamin A was recommended to me and I later added vitamin E on my own as a secondary antiviral protocol.

Following the treatment protocol I was given helped mitigate my issues in the short run and these days I'm MOSTLY not dyslexic anymore, though I am more prone to reversing letters and such when typing than I used to be and it gets worse if I'm having a bad day, medically. So the issue was probably never ENTIRELY cleared up.

This is a SAMPLE OF ONE -- me -- though feedback from people on the list suggests that it wasn't news to THEM. That was a list where I got a lot of life-changing health info that helped save my life and helped me get healthier when that's not supposed to be possible.

Does this mean that ALL cases of dyslexia can be traced to a cold and a smack on the head? Probably not. Does this mean all cases of dyslexia can be traced to a viral infection impacting brain function? I have no idea.

But I would guess SOME cases can be treated with an anti-viral protocol and the right vitamins, like mine was mostly resolved that way.

How would you determine the right vitamins?

For all neurological issues, B vitamins are always a good first guess. See also: Getting Started, The Weakest Link and Taking a Medical History.

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)

One of my sons was prone to OCD behaviors to some degree when he was younger. In his case, this was due to mold issues.

I had him on vitamin supplements for a time and that helped mitigate his issues but didn't resolve them. Most likely, mold issues tend to promote nutrient deficiencies and you need to resolve the nutrient deficiencies to resolve the OCD but that alone won't fix it. You also need to resolve the underlying cause, the mold issues.

A complication is that yeast is a form of fungus. It's technically not a mold but enough yeast in the system can cause a moderate return of my son's OCD tendencies.

Excess yeast in the system can be due to eating too many yeasty foods, like pizza. It can also be due to die-off because yeast feeds on detritus, so you see an increase of yeast when infection is dying. So excess yeast can suggest underlying infection.

Of course, this is a sample of ONE and I don't know if it generalizes.

So if you are OCD and want to test this hypothesis and see if it helps you, you would need to determine if there is hidden mold in your home, school, place of employment or other place you frequent. If you find mold, you would need to remediate the issue and then treat yourself for the mold exposure.

If you thoroughly check all possible locations and find nothing, then Plan B is treat for yeast and possibly underlying infection. In either case, you would also need to identify any nutrient deficiencies and treat those as well.

Popular Posts