Quadriplegia

In other tissues, muscle action drives the fluid back to the circulatory system. (Remember, the heart is just a big muscle. So this makes perfect sense.) So exercise dramatically increases the rate at which interstitial fluid gets returned to the circulatory system.

This means that one of the functions of exercise is "taking out the trash." And this is likely a huge and overlooked factor in why exercise is so beneficial to your health.
When I had a corporate job, I knew of two quadriplegics that worked for the company and I interacted with both of them once or twice. At the time, I was in much poorer health than I am now and it made me really sick to be around them.

In recent years, I've lived without a car and I sometimes take public transit. So I sometimes find myself needing to walk past someone wheelchair bound to get past the handicapped section of the bus and on to other seating.

I can tell they are also unwell.

I'm pretty sure that a major and overlooked issue for people who are wheelchair bound is that they don't get enough exercise, so the interstitial fluid does not get returned efficiently to the circulatory system and this significantly impairs their body's ability to clean up messes, "take out the trash" and do essential maintenance and it FOSTERS low-grade, chronic infection that they overlook and don't realize is infection.

There is currently in development some kind of exoskeleton that is expected to be a wheelchair alternative. My opinion: Switching to this if you can will dramatically improve your health because it will improve the rate of flow of interstitial fluid.

Until then, salt water baths and massage can help in place of exercise, IF such can be arranged.

The same stuff that repairs the brain, like B vitamins, should repair the spinal cord, with the complication that if the spine was broken, the bones were damaged and may be impinging on the spinal cord. I do not know what could be done about that and I think how much of a problem it would be would depend on the details. You might get partial use back even without addressing that issue.

Step one: antimicrobials, b vitamins, bone marrow support (the right fats, B vitamins, calcium) and a means to compensate for the lack of movement suppressing the flow of interstitial fluid out of the tissues and back to the lymphatic system.

If nothing else, killing infection should make such people feel better and ALSO function better because infection leaches essential nutrients and degrades energy levels, etc. So even just getting chronic low grade infection under control should make them FEEL better, function better and live longer.

That effect likely would kick in well before there was time to do any repair of a damaged spinal cord.

Footnote

Yes, this is highly likely to cause intestinal drama. Yes, I'm AWARE this is a big problem if you are a quadriplegic.

And that's NOT my problem.

See also: Thinking through what I said recently before doing ANYTHING with this info if you are a quadriplegic.

Popular Posts