Drumming, Drumming, Drumming

When I moved to Southern California the first time, I was gifted a hand-me-down bedroom set that I could not possibly have afforded. It took up a whole wall, had storage on both sides of the bed and a floating mirror as part of the large headboard area.

One day, I was sitting in bed reading or something and the floating mirror rattled for a few minutes. I was like "What IS that?" and speculated that the neighbors were letting their two-year-old jump on their bed because I was living in a duplex and their master bedroom presumably shared a wall with mine.

The mirror rattled on and off for some weeks and then one night I awoke at some ungodly hour to an earthquake. It was a BIG quake, a 7.1 magnitude and my FIRST earthquake.

I turned on the TV to try to get some news about what was going on and after a few minutes asked my husband how he could just continue to SLEEP through this earthquake, which was really bothering me, and he said "I can't sleep because YOU have the TV on."

Although quite large, it caused minimal damage in part because it was in the middle of nowhere.

I once saw a TV show about the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. They said most people were awake when it occured even though it was the middle of the night. A lot of people were manic and unable to sleep and out on the town.

I've read that dogs and other animals often behave strangely BEFORE a quake hits. It's well known this occurs, but people seem to be unable to use this as a means to predict quakes. It's generally commented on after the fact.

During my divorce, I left California when I did in part because my income dropped and I wasn't going to be able to afford to live there any longer.

I also left in part because the world seemed unstable to me -- the earth seemed to vibrate or something beneath me -- and I was throwing up from it. I was concerned a big quake was coming, but more importantly, I just needed to be able to get out of there to keep food down and get some sleep.

I drove around a bit looking for someplace to move to. The impression of drumming, drumming, drumming from deep within the earth was less in other places but not gone.

I finally visited a small town named Port Aransas on a barrier island just off the coast of Texas and at that point I could no longer feel the drumming. I finally got a good night's sleep and ate a decent amount of food and kept it down.

We stayed there three days and from there I ended up going home to visit family in Georgia on the excuse that Christmas was coming up. In Georgia, I could no longer feel whatever the hell had been bothering me everywhere else in the continental US that struck me as drumming deep within the earth.

I ended up staying in Georgia for a few years and working on my health.

While I was fleeing this impression of drumming, drumming, drumming and my inability to sleep or keep food down, my son could put his hand on my sternum and the energy coming off my heart made him dizzy and nauseous.

He has the same condition I have but he was NEVER as sick as I was.

One of the ways to test for CF is a test of abnormal electrical stuff in the body. CF is essentially a salt-wasting condition and causes derangement of electrolytes, so much so that people with CF are typically prone to getting frequently and badly shocked from static electricity -- something I no longer seem to suffer with being healthier.

While very sick and very chemically deranged, I could sense SOMETHING that I may no longer be so sensitive to. And, yet, there was no big quake in California -- or anywhere in the US -- around the time I fled California, desperate to try to keep food down and get some sleep, so I was ultimately left wondering as to my sanity.

That first big quake that I was in had aftershocks for weeks which disturbed my sleep, but apparently not my husband's nor my children's. I was also in a more moderate quake, a 5 point something, some years later while living in the San Francisco Bay Area and I had trouble sleeping and such prior to that quake and was generally moody, then after the quake hit I was like "Oh. THIS is why I've been so cranky for days."

I have a medical condition that alters my physiology and makes me measurably more sensitive to certain things than "normal" people. It's possible one of those things is whatever energies rising up out of the earth happen to precede earthquakes, energies that we know exist but don't know how to reliably identify.

I'm currently living in a region overdue for a big quake and I have been anxious in recent weeks. Anxiety is a common side effect of my medical condition so that doesn't, per se, mean anything.

I have also noticed OTHER PEOPLE behaving weirdly and being cranky and feisty. And once in a while in the recesses of my mind I can "hear" the tsunami warning system sounding "THIS IS A TEST. THIS IS ONLY A TEST. IF THIS HAD BEEN A REAL EMERGENCY..."

Tomorrow is the fourth of July and locals have been setting off fireworks for days already. I'm a MESS tonight, most likely from sulfur in the air from the fireworks and from being short of sleep as a consequence of the sulfur in the air.

Though MAYBE I am also on edge due to drumming deep in the earth that I MAY be more sensitive to than "normal" people who lack my genetic disorder.

Popular Posts