Mood Swings

When I was homeless in Fresno, California where summer heat waves sometimes ran between 107 and 112 degrees Fahrenheit for several days in a row, I began having serious mood swings that reminded me of bipolar disorder. So I asked my son to research if there was a connection between salt and lithium and he found a connection and we researched lithium-rich foods and found ways to mitigate this pattern.

The starch from potatoes helps my body hold onto salt better and we found that salty potatoes plus beef (a source of lithium) or, to a lesser extent, pork (another source of lithium) helped mitigate my mood swings.

This had gone on long enough I could feel it coming on hours ahead of time. I knew by how I felt "I am going to be a whack job later tonight" and we found that if I ate salty potatoes plus beef or pork some hours before it got bad, it never had to get that bad.

I have since had someone else with cystic fibrosis mention doctors mistaking them for being bipolar. I am guessing that salt and mineral derangement generally promotes lithium instability and -- AS A GUESS -- this approach might actually help mitigate mood swings even for bipolar people.

If you are coming in late and haven't yet gotten the memo, at its crux, cystic fibrosis is a salt-wasting condition. The body sweats out HIGH amounts of salt and that also drags OTHER minerals with it and it causes chemical derangement in the body that gets steadily worse over time, creating a positive feedback loop (AKA vicious cycle).

If you are prone to mood swings, keep a food and symptoms journal. If hot weather, going to the sauna, working hard or other causes of sweating precede worse mood swings, give this a try.

Footnote

If you are diabetic and cannot tolerate potatoes because they screw up your blood sugar, salt plus aloe vera plus a lithium-rich food may also work. Aloe and potatoes are the two main glyconutrients I use and aloe is actually good for your blood sugar.

If you are vegetarian, some vegetarian sources of lithium include cereals, potatoes, tomatoes and cabbage. If you do a little searching online, I'm sure you can come up with more info to meet your needs within your dietary restrictions/preferences.

Popular Posts