Depression (and other inflammatory conditions)

I don't seem to be prone to depression. If I remain depressed for three days, it's usually because I'm anemic.

As noted elsewhere on the site, a side effect of trypanosoma die off is a sense of hopelessness, so when I start whinging about stuff, my sons generally chalk it up to trypanosoma die off and largely ignore it. Trypanosoma is not the only infection that can cause a sense of hopelessness. It's just the one I have that does that.

Studies show that depression is associated with brain inflammation and that a Mediterranean Diet can help mitigate it. Lots of studies suggest olive oil is a "good oil" if you suffer depression or other inflammatory conditions.

I can consume olive oil if I don't overdo it. It's not one of the staples of my diet though.

My thoughts and opinions:
  • Inflammation can be caused by infection and/or high acidity AND high acidity fosters infection. Lots of info across the site on both of those.
  • Read the Getting Started post and start a health journal.
  • Read labels, read labels, read labels and TRACK what oils you consume.
My experience has been that some oils are extremely pro-inflammatory AND oils stick around a LONG time. It takes time to clear them from the system if you are routinely consuming the wrong oils and it is making an inflammatory condition worse.

Peanut oil has been the absolute worst oil in that regard for me. I also try to avoid corn oil which readily gets converted to arachidonic acid.

Also read up on sleep hygiene, the glymphatic system and other brain stuff on the site. If you are depressed because of brain inflammation, you are treating a neurological issue and the site has info on that stuff that may help you understand your situation.

As always, a best practice is:
  • Start your health journal.
  • Read the ENTIRE site.
  • Do NOTHING else initially. Do not make any changes to your diet, meds, etc. until you have some baseline idea of YOUR stuff from your journal AND some general understanding of my mental models.
If you decide I'm a whack job and your diet is fine and none of this fits your experience, you have done no harm to yourself. If you have an epiphany and go "Well, YES, I do, in fact, eat TONS of peanut oil AND my mood is worse x number of hours later/for x number of days afterwards." then you can proceed with confidence in making reasonable tweaks to your diet and etc.

I would follow the same process for other inflammatory conditions, such as arthritis or diabetes.

Popular Posts