Pituitary Gland Stuff

Most of the time, I avoid peanut products because they are very pro-inflammatory but once in a while they are helpful to me. Below is an exchange of emails between me and one of my sons who serves as my "research assistant."

It used to be really common for me to say "Hey, I have x issue and I am thinking thus and such, please get me info and see if there is a connection." One day, I was throwing up and had a terrible headache and was really miserable and the answer ended up being "Eat a few Reese's cups" and that made my pain bearable and put the worst of my crisis behind me in short order.

Since this incident, I have learned that in addition to Reese's cups, I can occasionally have the following in small quantities when I have reason to believe peanuts will help me:
  • Dry roasted peanuts.
  • Organic or natural peanut butter.
  • Peanut butter cookies from the bakery section of the store (made fresh in house).
I still do all in my power to avoid peanut oil. There seems to be no circumstance under which peanut oil is acceptable for me.

Email 1

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/pituitary-tumor-discussions/general-support/3884630-anger-outbursts

Interestingly there's multiple people with pituitary gland tumors whom have out-of-control, irrational, bizarre ("I enjoy this, time to throw a shitfit") bursts of anger/frustration.

I'm not finding any "scientific" support for this, but the personal descriptions put me in mind of some of the mood swings you've experienced. I doubt you have cancer, but some kind of pituitary gland problem would not be out of the question, and is consistent with some of the following.

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/P/Pituitary.html

According to this page, the pituitary gland produces vasopressin, which helps the kidneys reabsorb water into the blood, rather then sending it out in the form of urine.

So basically part of why we're peeing so much is the pituitary gland not getting in enough work.

Also, interestingly, according to the page the number of days it takes to overcome "jetlag" correlates to the number of hours you've shifted -an 8-hour difference will take roughly 8 days to adapt to, and this is tied to vasopressin as well. So our sleep difficulties probably also tie into the pituitary gland.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/pituitary-gland-nutrition-9256.html

Too much iron (We think you went suddenly from iron deficient to iron-poisoned at one point!), too little iodine, too little magnesium, too little manganese, and too little vitamin E supposedly negatively impact the pituitary gland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manganese

Manganese deficiency is supposedly rare, with toxicity (From breathing it in) being a more common problem. The manganese the body needs is primarily stored in the bones, anyway.

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-high-in-manganese.php

This provides a list of high-manganese foods. Mostly its seafood, but it includes tea, spinach, butter and lima beans, nuts, and several kinds of seeds. (Including sunflower, again) Also pumpkin seeds.

Email 2

I just feel shitty. How do we take the edge off my nausea for today?

Sometimes, peanut butter cups help. Does that sound like a thought?

Emails 3 and 4

It has been a while since we bought any, and they double as chocolate. That's probably a good idea. Lemme look into peanut butter, actually.

... it's apparently ridiculously high in magnesium, vitamin E, manganese, and even has a good chunk of selenium. So, basically a bunch of the things I'm hypothesizing you/we are low on.

Popular Posts