Nebulized Xylitol Saline Solution

This recipe was originally developed by a friend who was a former Registered Nurse. I had shared my xylitol-saline recipe with her, which is meant to be a sinus rinse, and she modified it for nebulizing into the lungs and then shared it with me (and later gave me permission to post it online).

It is meant to be used with a nebulizer and face mask. I used this recipe to good effect for several months. Along with other measures, it helped me stay out of the ER and helped me reach my goal of reducing the number of prescription medications I required. I am now off all prescription medications.

Recipe
  • One pint (2 cups, 500 ml) GLASS jar, cleaned in HOT water, such as in a dishwasher or with boiling water. Rinse with sterile water (to remove any soap residue).

  • Fill with distilled or reverse osmosis water. Because this solution will be inhaled through the mist created by the nebulizer, the water needs to be sterile and pure, with no contaminants, microbial or otherwise. (Not tap water)

  • Add 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt or "pickling/canning" salt. (Sea salt has a benefical balance of minerals.) DO NOT use table salt as it contains many undesirable additives.

  • Add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of Xylitol.

  • Stir well. Discard after one week.


Footnote
Some people with Cystic Fibrosis have had lung bleeds when trying inhaled mannitol, which is a chemically similar treatment to this (though I believe those were dry powder treatments and this is a mist). My recollection is that inhaled mannitol was not approved by the FDA due to lung bleeds in children. In my experience, bleeds are an indication of calcium deficiency.

Popular Posts