Co-Q-10 and Melatonin
Diet, Drugs, Supplements
So a knowledgeable medical industry insider once explained a bunch of stuff about coQ10 to me.
For starters, it is made in the body in a complex 17 step process which means you easily become deficient. If you are over the age of 30, you may benefit from taking supplements.
Co-Q-10 is the co-enzyme for melatonin. You have probably heard of melatonin: it is the natural stuff that helps your brain go to sleep and which many people purchase as a natural sleep aid. It is recommended that you take melatonin about 30 minutes before bedtime.
After going through 22 months of withdrawal from prescription medication, my brain was FRIED and I couldn't really sleep properly. Taking normal "recommended doses" of melatonin made me feel like I couldn't fully wake up for like three days.
So then my contact explained co-q-10 to me and I began taking it in the morning. Melatonin puts the brain to sleep. Co-Q-10 wakes it up and then about 12 or so hours later, you get a small melatonin spike to help you sleep.
So WHEN you take these supplements really matters. They both directly impact the brain's chemical sleeping and waking cycle and taking them at the wrong time can screw up your sleep cycle rather than help repair it.
I took high levels of co-q-10 for several years and sometimes very small doses of melatonin. My brain's waking and sleep cycle (and other damaged organs that co-q-10 helps support, like the heart) healed up and I stopped needing this supplement.
Co-q-10 in the morning 12 to 14 hours before your bedtime and melatonin at night 30 minutes before bedtime proved to be MAGIC faerie dust for me. For me, LOTS of co-q-10 and VERY LITTLE melatonin was the right magic formula for escaping what had become a personal hell of insomnia, nightmares, failing to sleep deeply, etc etc.
Footnote
So a knowledgeable medical industry insider once explained a bunch of stuff about coQ10 to me.
For starters, it is made in the body in a complex 17 step process which means you easily become deficient. If you are over the age of 30, you may benefit from taking supplements.
Co-Q-10 is the co-enzyme for melatonin. You have probably heard of melatonin: it is the natural stuff that helps your brain go to sleep and which many people purchase as a natural sleep aid. It is recommended that you take melatonin about 30 minutes before bedtime.
After going through 22 months of withdrawal from prescription medication, my brain was FRIED and I couldn't really sleep properly. Taking normal "recommended doses" of melatonin made me feel like I couldn't fully wake up for like three days.
So then my contact explained co-q-10 to me and I began taking it in the morning. Melatonin puts the brain to sleep. Co-Q-10 wakes it up and then about 12 or so hours later, you get a small melatonin spike to help you sleep.
So WHEN you take these supplements really matters. They both directly impact the brain's chemical sleeping and waking cycle and taking them at the wrong time can screw up your sleep cycle rather than help repair it.
I took high levels of co-q-10 for several years and sometimes very small doses of melatonin. My brain's waking and sleep cycle (and other damaged organs that co-q-10 helps support, like the heart) healed up and I stopped needing this supplement.
Co-q-10 in the morning 12 to 14 hours before your bedtime and melatonin at night 30 minutes before bedtime proved to be MAGIC faerie dust for me. For me, LOTS of co-q-10 and VERY LITTLE melatonin was the right magic formula for escaping what had become a personal hell of insomnia, nightmares, failing to sleep deeply, etc etc.
Footnote
Originally written some time in 2024 and never published. Spaces and footnote added. Hitting publish.
Comments