Chimerism in pregnancy, hormones, immune system stuff

Comments by me on some forum. 

Chimerism happens when a woman gets pregnant. She may permanently have foreign cells from the baby floating around her system afterwards. 

I think this helped save my life. One of my sons is only a carrier, aka does not have the same genetic disorder as I have. I also changed my diet permanently while pregnant the first time AND I suspect my child who is only a carrier was stressed in the womb due to sharing a blood supply with me and cleaning up some of the mess in my system with his kidneys.

For the first month of his life, he hosed me down anytime I changed his diaper and he peed the bed on and off until he was nearly six. I think his fetal kidneys were hammered hard with cleaning MY blood and it took years for them to recover.

This is a blog that no one reads, not a PhD thesis. I'm just jotting down a few half-baked thoughts I've had, not prescribing drugs to patients as a doctor to prove whackadoodle ideas. So you can stow the faux outrage.

I have a very long history of ear infections going back to when I was a toddler at least. When I started birth control pills at age 17, for several months I had huge multi-headed pimples or drainage points in my ears. One ear or the other would swell shut and it was very painful and took weeks to resolve.

I'm convinced this was the birth control pills boosting my immune system and helping my body clean up chronic infection to some degree. (No, I don't actually want your opinion about how I'm a stupid woman or something. THANKS, asshole.)

I have read that the female immune system is more complicated than the male immune system and this is so we can distinguish between babies and cancerous tumors and not just go "Baby is foreign material and must die!"

My sons and I react differently to things. They have to be more aggressive about some issues than I have to be. We do not know why but suspect that it's rooted in gender and the hormonal differences that involves.

This post brought to you by my ongoing bad habit of reading trans subs on Reddit. Some people start HRT and report worse mental health or generally feeling just TERRIBLE.

I have to wonder if HRT is having some impact on some trans people akin to birth control pills boosting my immune system and causing horrendous drainage from my ears for months. Hormones have immune functions and I doubt this is much discussed as part of the dynamic for what happens when people transition.

Popular Posts